In this article, we explain our policy towards abusive behaviour and what steps we will take to sanction those who behave as such towards our staff
Conflict Resolution with Parents and Aggressive Behaviour Policy
At Hatching Dragons we believe that we have a strong partnership with our parents and an open door policy to discuss any matters arising (if applicable). If as a parent you have any concerns or issues you wish to raise with the nursery then please follow the complaints procedure.
In the case of a parent emailing, calling or using social media to complain the nursery will direct them to the correct procedure for raising a complaint.
But we have a zero tolerance on abusive calls, emails, social media contact and face to face confrontation and will act robustly with any families who treat our staff and teachers with the discourtesy of abusive behaviour and will terminate nursery places with immediate effect for when / if this behaviour does occur. It will not be tolerated.
The call taker receiving an abusive call will ask the caller to follow the complaints policy. If the abuse continues the call taker will end the call. Any abusive calls will be logged with an outline of the conversation.
The responder will ask the parents to come into the setting to speak in person, as per our complaints policy. If the emails persist the manager may seek legal action. All emails will be kept as evidence until the matter is resolved.
If slanderous or abusive messages appear on any social media sites we will address these immediately with a request to follow our complaints procedure. We will endeavour to resolve any issue raised through our complaints procedure. If slanderous/abusive messages continue we will seek legal action against the complainant.
In the event that any person inside the nursery starts to act in an aggressive manner at the nursery, our policy is to:
- Direct the person away from the children and into a private area, such as the office (where appropriate)
- Ensure that a second member of staff is in attendance, where possible, whilst continuing to ensure the safe supervision of the children
- Remain calm and professional in order to calm the aggressive person, making it clear that we do not tolerate aggressive or abusive language or behaviour
- If the aggressive behaviour continues or escalates we will contact the police in order to ensure the safety of our staff team, children and families
- If the person calms down and stops the aggressive behaviour a member of staff will listen to their concerns and try to resolve the issue
- Following an aggressive confrontation an incident form will be completed detailing the time, reason and any action taken
- Any aggressive behaviour from a parent could result in the withdrawal of a place for the child/ren. Parents will be informed, by the management team , in writing within 3 days of any incident that involved aggressive or threatening behaviour to their staff
- Management will provide support and reassurance to any staff member involved in such an incident
- Management will signpost parents to organisations/professionals that can offer support if applicable
Should abusive behaviour be witnessed by our staff and / or children, witness statements will be secured and the local authorities engaged in line with our safeguarding procedures. The family in question will have their place terminated with immediate effect for breach of both our code of conduct and this policy.